This month sees the return of National Eye Health Week, which runs from the 24th-30th September. This issue is devoted exclusively to promoting healthy eyes and vision. And make sure you read the back page for your invitation to an Eye Health Talk exclusively for Clarke & Roskrow clients.
This is an important week in the nation’s health calendar, raising awareness of the importance of eye health and the need for regular sight-tests for all.
Vision really matters. We live in a world where our sense of sight is the most crucial of all the senses, and the one which many of us fear losing the most. And yet, as a nation, we aren’t very good at looking after our eyesight and eye health.
Did you know that:
- Over 2 million people in the UK are living with sight-loss that is severe enough to have a significant impact on their daily lives. Half of this sight-loss is avoidable.
- A sight-test can detect early signs of eye disease such as glaucoma, which can be treated if found early enough.
- Glaucoma is the leading cause of preventable blindness in
- A sight-test can also help to detect other general health problems such as diabetes, raised blood pressure and cholesterol, to mention just
- Your Optometrist can provide practical advice on how to maintain healthy eyes and vision.
- Globally, the leading cause of vision impairment is a lack of access to sight-tests and glasses.